The Free Application for Student Aid, or FAFSA, is a single, free application form designed by the federal government that most students must complete for most forms of financial aid. It is the basis of awards by the federal and state governments and (often) colleges as well. The FAFSA should be submitted as soon as possible after October 1.
The FAFSA can be found online. Pre-application worksheets are available. The web-based version of the FAFSA can be found at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Please note that there are other web addresses similar to this address that do not lead to the federal forms. Be sure to apply at www.fafsa.ed.gov. This site provides step-by-step instructions for completing the form.
To fill out the FAFSA on the Department of Education's web site, you need to create an FSA ID. The FSA ID is your electronic passport to federal student aid online.  Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your federal student aid documents.  Follow the instructions at https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm to create your FSA ID.
Note:  Some private colleges require financial aid applicants to submit the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE in addition to the FAFSA. If your colleges use the PROFILE, you can complete it online at http://profileonline.collegeboard.com/ - do not use the "www" prefix.
Here is a Youtube link to help walk you through the FAFSA:
FREE help to complete your FAFSA
  • FAFSA Help OH

    Attention Seniors & Parents: with the 2021-22 FAFSA application available as early as October 1, go to this website to find a location near you: https://www.oasfaa.org/  then click on the tab that says FAFSA Help OH.

  • To fill out the 2021-22 FAFSA, you will need your social security number, W2 forms and other records of money earned, driver's license, federal income tax return, parents' federal income tax return if a dependent, untaxed income records, current bank statements and investment records.